The modules in the unsupported directory have not passed the quality assurance steps required to be included as
part of the library.
Not everything in the GeoTools code base is ready for public abuse quite yet; for the longest time developers would keep
these experiments to themselves. With the use of our maven build system we have been able to “deploy” some of these jars
for those of you wanting a sneak peek.
The following modules are provided for your amusement only to encourage collaborate on making these modules part of our library:
Research and Development:
Modules under active development:
- Process - API for working with GeoSpatial processes and annotations to make defining additional processes easy
- Swing - collection of GUI components and utilities based on the Swing framework
- SWT - collection of GUI components and utilities based on the SWT framework
Modules for which volunteers are needed:
- GeoJSON Plugin - Demonstrates how to encode and decode GeoJSON files into GeoTools Feature Collections
- WPS - Provides a web processing service client API so programmers can easily build Web Process Service requests and parse the responses
Modules scheduled to be removed:
- Shapefile Renderer (replaced by gt-render)
A custom renderer for shapefiles. About to be dropped since most of the optimizations have already been generalized and moved to gt-renderer, does not have anymore a maintainer interested in it
The following is an index of unsupported plugins:
Unsupported DataStore implementations:
- Caching Plugin (Example) shows how to to cache a FeatureSource. Intended for use with a web feature server, maintaining a cache of retrieved features.
- CSV Plugin (Active) support for the comma-separated values (CSV) file format used for tutorial
- DXF Plugin (Inactive) Support for DXF format files
- EDIGEO Plugin (Inactive) Support for EDIGEO file format
- EFeature DataStore Plug-in (Active) Adds spatial support to (any) EMF model
- Excel Plugin (Unknown) Support for Microsoft Excel files
- GeoREST Plugin (Unknown) Support for a REST service using GeoJSON
- OGR Plugin (Inactive) Support for a range of vector file formats using the OGR library
- WFS Plugin (Stable but not active) Supports communcation with a Web Feature Server using the standard GeoTools DataStore API
- WFS-NG Plugin (Inactive) Experimental code for “next generation” Web Feature Server support
- Simple Features Service Plugin (Unknown) Support for the experimental GeoServer Simple Feature Service
- VPF Plugin (Inactive) Support for VPF (Vector Product Format) files
Unsuppported ISO 19107 Geometry implementations:
- Geometry Plugin - alternative geometry implementation with support for curves and surfaces. Not currently used by any GeoTools modules
- JTS Wrapper Plugin - ISO Geometry interfaces implemented as wrappers around the Java Topology Suite SFSQL implementations
Unsupported Raster modules:
Unsupported Referencing implementations:
- EPSG Oracle Plugin - allows an application to work an EPSG table of map projections in an Oracle database
- EPSG H2 Plugin- Allows an application to work an EPSG table of map projections in an H2 (pure Java) database
If you really need one of these modules to work?
Several of the unsupported modules (for example process) are really popular. That does not however mean that there is anyone in the
GeoTools community taking care, fixing bugs and providing documentation. In some cases these modules are the work of students, in others
a commercial company that donated the code (but in both cases more resources are needed to make the module usable and trustworthy).
In the past we threw out such work - we are trying a change of policy here by letting you see what can be done
(and has been done).
If you really do need one of these modules cleaned up, perhaps for a deadline, please check out our support page - a
range of commercial support options are available. Any one of these organisations can be hired to bring these modules up to speed.